June 8, 2010

Unqualified . . . for everything

A few weeks ago, while searching the federal government job site usajobs.gov for attorney positions, I came across a listing for a temporary and part time job as a government test administrator.  The advertisement indicated that the government often administers tests for potential employees or for military personnel.  Test administrators are needed to clearly read test instructions, ensure no one is cheating, and to collect the tests and transport them with confidentiality.

Well, I thought, I need part time work to tide me over.  I can read.  I am good at monitoring others' bad behavior, and shaming/judging them.  And, I know how to drive somewhere without showing anyone my cargo.  I'm totally qualified for this position.

So, I applied.

Today I got an email about the job.  It says this:

We have reviewed your application and found you qualified for the position listed above.  However, you were not among the most highly qualified candidates. Therefore, your name will not be referred to the employing agency at this time.  If we receive a request from the agency for additional candidates, or another agency requests a list of eligibles for a very similar position within the next 90 days, your application will again be reviewed for possible referral.

What the what?

Who are these "highly qualified individuals" of whom they speak?  Who reads better than a lawyer?  Who administers tests better than a former school teacher?

Why do I care!?

5 Robot Reactions:

JakieWakie said...

Being unemployed manages to expose all kinds of insecurities you didn't know you had, doesn't it?

Jana said...

That's WAY lame.

vvk said...

(1) you're over qualified... Not getting a job b/c your "over qualified" sucks big time.

(2) I suspect the job went to someone who gets preferences in federal hiring... Veterans, etc.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I suspect the job went to bums or other worker's unemployed buddies.

Just a little about The Miser said...

You are over qualified, and that aside, I think they are paranoid about a lawyer having access to sensitive information.

Yes, I understand how lame that sounds. Lawyers are supposed to have access to sensitive info., but in this case, they may worry you would use it as evidence in some odd sense or another.

Yes, I understand how even more lame that sounds, but I see some idiot reviewing job apps for the position and thinking that. I was baffled at first with your post, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, that is the only conclusion I can draw.