August 14, 2009

Julie and Julia (and Sparklebot)

When Troubletron got home from work last night and asked if I wanted to go see "Julia Goulia," I not only knew what movie he was refering to (Julie & Julia), but I also knew the 1998 film reference he drew from (The Wedding Singer). I smiled, partially at our display of synchronicity, but more so at his suggestion of film. He usually prefers an action film. So, I knew he only suggested it because he thought I'd like it. I'll take what I can get.

I knew little about the film other than that it starred Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Meryl Streep is always a reason to see a film, but I confess my real love in this film is Ms. Adams. Amy Adams has been my favorite actress since I saw her in Junebug a few years back. Since then, I've loved everything I've seen her in. Last night was no exception.

The film, basically, is half about Julia Child's struggle to become a cook, and half about Julie Powell, a 30 year-old New Yorker who set out in 2003 to cook every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook in the course of a year (and blog about it).

I really enjoyed the film, because I connected with the characters and themes on several occasions. I learned a lot about myself:
1) First, I learned that, as a woman that's 5-6 inches taller than the average man, and 7-8 inces taller than the average woman, I apparently look like a complete freak when standing among normal-sized people. At one point in the movie, as Julia stooped to hug a shorter friend, I turned in horror to Troubletron and asked if that was what I looked like when interacting with short people. He made an awkward face, kissed my forehead, and told me he loved me.

Damn.
2) Next, I learned that boys actually LIKE their friends, and that I'm not abnormal, as a woman, for disliking mine. What I don't understand (even after Troubletron tried to explain it to me after the movie) is how boys actually FIND friends that they LIKE. He tried to make me feel better by saying that the only places I had to meet friends (BYU, law school, etc) were places where I had no chance of meeting someone awesome, but I'm not sure that's totally accurate. You'll probably have to see the film to understand exactly what I'm talking about, but I'll just leave it at that.
3) Lastly, I learned that I need to find MY version of Julia's french cooking class or Julie's Julia Child blog project. Like both of these women, I find myself in a position in life where I am bored. I don't feel like I'm doing anything worthwhile or important with my time. Perhaps it's a temporary condition for me since I am in a time of limbo between law school and having a job, but it feels very real.
I also realized why the women's rights movement happened. It's SO BORING to be home all day. People need to feel like they're doing something fulfilling with their lives.

So, I need to find my thing. I'm taking suggestions.

12 Robot Reactions:

Leonard Hanks said...

All I can say about the "women's right's movement" is......your welcome! :)

Sparklebot said...

You're lucky you're cute.

Shackles2Garlands said...

For a while there, you were making little things like cute cell-phone cozies, scarves, etc., and had or at leaset talked about an eBay store. There is Etsy now, or you could make things and sell on the blog. It's easy to start a small business (as long as you are not trying to live off of it!), especially if you just buy a transient vender's license. It would be the same sort of license people who sell at flea markets typcially have. You would like need to have an official place of business. It is just a fun thought :- )

Shackles2Garlands said...

grrr, again thinking faster than I type!

To translate my garbled English from my last post, you would NOT need an official place of business. Transient licenses are cheap too, and you can come up with your own business name. As long as you don't make a huge profit, filing taxes is surprisingly easy and you can do yourself. If not, just keep your paperwork and it will be a snap for any Accountant :- )

Sparklebot said...

Shackles2Garland:

1) I have considered an etsy shop. I just think it's impossible to make any profit at all on any of the hand-made items I make. But, you are correct that I really enjoy making things, and I do find that fulfilling. So, it may be a temporary solution.

2) Do I know you? If I don't, that's fine. I just like to know who I'm talking to, if I do know them.

Unknown said...

Nice post. Very timely as I am going to see Julie and Julia tonight. So now I will be thinking of you the whole time I'm watching this movie.

I have no suggestions as to what you should do except that if you like making stuff then you should do that. Then post tutorials and stuff. You should also join Ravelry. I love ravelry.

snowbird said...

I saw the movie a week ago and LOVED it! I am a real fan of Amy Adams also. I loved all the cooking, cooking, cooking.......that's because I WISH I could cook.

No Big Dill said...

Julia Child is one of my heros, but I've yet to see the movie. I look forward to see where your boredom takes you.....

Side of Jeffrey said...

Question - so you don't like your friends? Just checking. I was living under the inaccurate impression that you did. Good to note.

Sparklebot said...

Beth: what did you think?

Snowbird: who did you get to go with you?

K a t y: yeah, we'll see. I was thinking over the weekend that I may start making Christmas stockings for my new family. I haven't done any sewing in a long time though . . . so I am nervous to jump back in.

Side of Jeffrey: I wondered if anyone would call me out on that ill-explained statement. It's not that I don't LIKE my friends--I obviously like something about them or I wouldn't be their friend. It's that I (and apparently Julie Powell) often come home from hanging out with friends feeling really frustrated.

reneeebony said...

i saw the movie and then promptly made Boeuf Bourguignon. so seriously amazingly delicious. and not that complicated to make.

maybe that should be the first spaklesmash stays at home project.

Jillian said...

As one of those whom you met while at BYU, I would like to formally protest number two. Because really, I am freaking-damn-awesome....but since we only talk roughly twice a year, via the interweb....I'll let it go.