November 17, 2009

Proof That The Women's Rights Movement Has Not Yet Achieved Its Goal

Last weekend, Littletron was watching some Simpsons episodes on DVD. Specifically, he was watching the episode when Bart witnesses the clumsy waiter who can't say "Chowder" fall, and his testimony could exonerate the Quimby nephew charged with the beating.

In that episode, Bart is trying to curry favor with the judge, and says "It's nice to see so many ladies on the bench."

Littletron asked what that meant. He is, obviously, not familiar with the term "the bench" as it relates to judges.

Troubletron said, "Bart means he is glad to see a lady being a judge."

Littletron looked at him confused and said, "wait. Girls can be judges now?"

Yes, the kid is only nine and has little concept of how the world works. Yes, he spends most of his time in a county where most professionals are men. No, I can't expect him to know or understand the struggles women have overcome to come as close to a position of equality as we are in today.

I was not mad at Littletron. He can't help what he has been taught.

But, I am mad at society for teaching him that judges are men. I am mad at modern women who think equality has been achieved, and so have ceased to fight so as not to be labeled a "feminist." I am mad at myself for not talking more to my new children about what I do, my struggles to get there, and the double standards for men and women in the same fields. I am mad at lawmakers who, session after session, refuse to pass an Equal Rights Amendment that would ensure that the government would have to treat all people equally. I am mad at every person I am friends with on facebook who has stupid jokes about women being like cars (you should trade them in every 10 years or so for a newer model).

I am happy with The Simpsons. Thank you for beginning to teach my new son an important lesson that I had yet to teach.

4 Robot Reactions:

JakieWakie said...

Remember when Mom wouldn't let us watch The Simpsons? What was she thinking?

Unknown said...

I love The Simpsons. They have taught me many many things. There aren't many shows that really make the world a better place like The Simpsons.

Just a little about The Miser said...

I'm angry that apparently being a woman is a pre-existing condition for many insurance companies. I'm not kidding. http://www.awomanisnotapreexistingcondition.com/

Cathy said...

we still have a long way to go