January 13, 2010

January (or, Januray, as I spelled it on the poll)

The dull ache of January has set in.

We are hunkered down to bear it out.

I wish I had some desolate pictures of ice or dead grass or the frozen Potomac to emphasize the drear of the time, but I am a car-less, unemployed person who does not leave her 16th floor apartment for weeks at a time.   I no longer have the excuse of Christmas shopping or merry-making to force me out.  I haven't even needed groceries since before the holiday.

There is no nostalgic music about toy-making or reindeer or snowmen to set the warming mood, to temper the uncommonly chilled air.  The windows are no longer outlined in celebratory lights.  There is no anticipation.  There is just cold.

There's just January.

10 Robot Reactions:

Ginna said...

Ick. January. It's my birthday month so I should like it, but since it's the last day of the month it just makes it even more drear to get through. It feels like the longest darkest coldest month ever, doesn't it? And it's much worse out east than it was out west. In my opinion anyway.

Anonymous said...

Surely it would be worth leaving your apartment to visit a museum or to see AVATAR 3D! There is even the International Motorcycle show in DC this weekend. See, there is so much to do!

Jillian said...

And Glee is off the air for another mindnumbing season of American Idol. January can suck it.

Miss Scarlet said...

I like January because it's cold! And it's in the middle of Christmas and my birthday. FUN!

Joy said...

January is the lamest month out of the year.

Sparklebot said...

Ginna: Yeah. It's awful.

Anonymous: As I mentioned in the post, I am car-less during the day while my husband is at work. And, I live in VA, so taking public transportation is not as viable an option for transportation. Also, I have zero interest in seeing Avatar. It looks wildly stupid and I've only heard horrible reviews from people whose movie opinions I respect.

Jillian: correct. Also, I have no TV. So, that just adds to my depression.

Scarlet: having a January birthday might make it cheerier. Alas, mine is in August.

Sherpa: You said it.

Jana said...

You have no TV?? What the heck do you do with yourself? Something productive or something? No really though, that is depressing.

R. Siren said...

January IS depressing. This is no way to start off a new year.

Just a little about The Miser said...

Sleep. Enjoy the opportunity to sleep. At least you have Internet. If you want a good website for shows, check out http://www.watchxonline.com A lot to see on there. Also, I wasn't sure if you'd be interested or now, but I have really fallen in love with The Tudors. I've watched all the episodes online here: http://watchthetudors.com/ I don't have TV either (haven't in years, actually), and have been fairly happy (I miss a few of the history and science channels, and possibly the food network and even VH1 classic, but I don't care for most of the garbage on TV these days, especially reality TV ick).

Anonymous said...

geez. bleak much? call me to borrow transportation. However, in my view, you should not leave your apartment for any reason until the temperature gets above 40 degrees.