December 1, 2009

Late Night/Early Morning Nonsense

It's 1:26 a.m. as I begin to type this blog post.

I went to bed 2 hours ago. I laid next to Troubletron and heard him drift softly to sleep about 10 minutes later. I laid awake for what seemed an eternity before I determined to get up and read for a while to lull my eyes to sleep about 20 minutes ago. I grabbed my book (latest in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series), and sneaked out of the bedroom to the couch. But, then I got distracted. So, here we are.

When I can't sleep, I feel a sense of urgency to fall asleep--like my brain gets mad at myself for not taking advantage of this time to sleep since these chances are so few. Only now, as I am unemployed, my brain struggles between this urgent guilt for being awake, and the remembrance that it doesn't matter one bit whether I can sleep or not. I can sleep all day long if I need to.

Sigh.

I'm cyber-sighing a lot lately.

3 Robot Reactions:

Jillian said...

After years of tossing and turning and never being able to sleep, I have come to the realization that it's part of God's infinite wisdom that I am not married (or sharing a bed with anyone, period). I certainly would have smothered Troubletron in his sleep out of pure frustration/envy.

I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

I HATE that! I blame the kids. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed I can't sleep in past 7:30 anymore. Grrr. Last night Chase snuck in my bed around 3am and woke me up with his cold feet! Not pretty. I lay awake for a few hours after that thinking about all the things I need to do today.

Anonymous said...

Relax and sleep in. You have your whole life to get up early and go to a job, or get up with kids, or whatever. Your at-home leisure won't last, so try to enjoy it while it does.