January 11, 2010

Marital Milestone

Last night, after the children had been faithfully returned to their mother, Troubletron and I sat down together on the futon for what would be a very important marital milestone.

We watched all 5 hours of the BBC's Pride and Prejudice.



It was not only Troubletron's first experience with P&P, but with any Jane Austen at all.  Can you imagine not even KNOWING about Mr. Collins?  Or about what happened at the Netherfield ball?  Or about what MIGHT have happened if Mr. Darcy "had behaved in a more gentleman-like manner!"


His reaction to the film: "Wasn't Colin Firth's character in Bridget Jones also named 'Mr. Darcy?'  Who copied who?"


Precious.  And very astute.

He says he liked it.

7 Robot Reactions:

Sparklebot said...

That should throw the girls into the paths of other rich men.

Leonard Hanks said...

I do like it. Very much so. For no other reason than the AWESOME sideburnage!!

JakieWakie said...

First Jane Austen ever? REALLY?!!

Welcome to a better place, Trouble Tron. I hope Sense and Sensibility is going to be watched soon, though that BBC Pride and Prejudice is hard to beat. I'm glad you showed him the good version; when I saw the black background in the picture, it kinda looked like the Keira Knightley version, which in my never-read-the-book opinion, sucked.

I'm trying so hard to remember a good line to quote, to follow your lead, Sparklebot, but all I can come up with is "P'haps we might visit Pemberly after all!"

Sparklebot said...

Jakie: yeah, I also hated the Kiera Knightly version. Elizabeth Bennett is not supposed to be a waif. And, the story is not one that can be told in under 2 hours.

Shelly! said...

Would love a more detailed account of TroubleTron's take on it...

I am a bit concerned that he had to ask whether the Mr. Darcy of P&P or the Mr. Darcy of Bridge Jones. Hum...

Glad you showed him the BBC version. I do also like the Kiera Knightley version - the imagery and colors are awesome. But, if you need a short version I highly recommend Bride & Prejudice!

Just a little about The Miser said...

I really enjoyed Sense & Sensibility, and sadly I agree with the Keira Knightly version of P&P, although I personally love Keira Knightly (but not in Pirates of the Caribbean, ironically enough).

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to focus on what is best about Pride and Prejudice. But one of my favorites is Mr. Collins at dinner when he says: "It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable." Right. And the best scene in both movies has to be when Lady Catherine De Bourgh comes to the Bennett's house to school Lizzie: "You will be censured, slighted, and despised, by everyone connected with him. Your alliance will be a disgrace; your name will never even be mentioned by any of us." Mean old bitch.