March 3, 2010

It's hard

I know my blogging frequency has waned.  And, I don't need to explain that it's because I have a pseudo-job now, because you already know that.  What you may not know is that pseudo-jobs take just as much time as real jobs (maybe more?), but don't pay you anything because, well, you just have to accept that it's not time for pay yet.

I had lunch with one of my friends from law school last Saturday.  I hadn't seen her in 9 months (since graduation), though we used to be very close while in school.  She told me how crappy her pseudo-job is (it was startlingly similar to my own), and I sighed and whined in my turn.
We talked of all our mutual friends.  She didn't pass the bar.  He still can't find a job.  They had to move back in with their parents (as 27 year-olds with doctorate level degrees).  She's taking another bar exam to try to make herself more marketable.  He's doing "lawyer temp work" (aka, hell) to try to make the bills, but is only getting a job every 3 months or so.

We soon realized that VERY few of our friends are doing well, while only slightly more are doing OK.  It's hard to keep your spirits high when you know you're on the brink of financial ruin, no matter how hard you work.  No matter how long you've prepared.  No matter how frugal you are being.  No matter how many steps you've taken in your life to avoid being in this very situation.

It's hard.

6 Robot Reactions:

Ginna said...

It's hard and it sucks. What a drag! I hope it's all going to turn around for everybody. It's not fair to work so hard and then have to struggle!

Cathy said...

I hope it gets better for you. My husband has had a pseudo job for 6 months and he just was told they might have found a way to be able to pay him, maybe it will work out for you too!!

Leonard Hanks said...

It is hard.....and it does suck....(that's what he said)

Unknown said...

There is always a couch in our basement if you need it. However, you should be forward that if you accept this couch you will lose every ounce of peace and privacy your life currently offers. The boys will make sure of that.

NG said...

If you'd like, I could go out and sleep with a male prostitute while doing some blow and then leak photos of it to the tabloids. Then when I desperately need to clear my name to stay out of jail, I can casually mention in front of the press, "All public comments will be coming through my lawyer, Sparklebot."

Unknown said...

My favorite blog:

http://bigdebtsmalllaw.wordpress.com/

It's depressing, but also hilarious and totally worth checking out. Everyone in the legal job market is having a miserable time finding jobs.