April 23, 2010

Who you gonna call?

Do you believe in ghosts?

And, when I ask this, I want to know what you really believe.  Troubletron and I have been discussing this for a few weeks, ever since I found that one of the chairs on our balcony had been moved, Poltergeist style, past a table and two other chairs, facing a different direction, and pressed against the wall.  Troubletron blames the wind; but I find it hard to think the wind blew one chair so violently and left the remaining three chairs and the table (with vases on it) unmoved.  I would take a picture of it for you, but I'm not going out there.  I don't take chances like that.

I'm not saying it was a ghost, necessarily.  Truthfully, I have no idea what did that to our chair.  Our balcony is not adjacent to any other (someone would have to jump a good 25 feet to get to it from their own), so the possibility of a jokester neighbor seems remote.

At the very mention of a "ghost," Troubletron gets ready for verbal battle.  He vehemently believes there is no such entity.

I don't know what I believe.  I know I have personally experienced some weird phenomena when living at an old house during college.  My five housemates and I, in that basement apartment, all experienced a variety of unexplained events: shadows, slamming doors, stereos turning on spontaneously at full volume in the middle of the night, apparitions, appliances turning on while not plugged in, etc.  We called it a "ghost" for lack of a better explanation.  We were all pretty spooked.

I know a friend whose family has been haunted by a "pigman."  Various generations of children in the family have had the same nightmares about the same pigman, without knowing of their parent's same dreams.  Besides the dreams, there have been unexplainable events in their homes.

Are there ghosts?  And, if so, who are these ghosts?  Dead people?  Demons?  What?

Are there various dimensions of reality that sometimes overlap/interact, causing what seems like "ghosts" to us who cannot perceive those dimensions correctly?

Are there pockets of energy that cause otherwise unexplainable events like light bursts or moved objects?

I want to know what you think.

13 Robot Reactions:

Leonard Hanks said...

I don't believe in ghosts.

Leonard Hanks said...

Here is a pretty good article explaining why people see ghosts.

http://scientificinquiry.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_rational_look_at_ghosts

core said...

Maybe Al Gore and your friend with the Pigman problem should get together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf69EEL3WBk

Sparklebot said...

Idio: Haha. I love that South Park episode!

Troubletron: I think we all are very clear on what you think! Thanks for your contributions.

Kelly O. said...

I've seen dead people. Sure they were in coffins, but I've seen em!

Joy said...

I'm like you Ash, a skeptic who has had some seriously weird experiences when it comes to the paranormal.

NG said...

I, personally, enjoy watching those ghost hunter shows because they are so ridiculous. I find myself yelling at my TV, "JUST BECAUSE IT'S COLD HERE DOES NOT PROVE THAT THE GHOST OF A CIVIL WAR BRIDE WHO FELL DOWN THE STAIRS AND BROKE HER NECK IS TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU AND OH MY GOSH NO, THAT MUFFLED INDISTINGUISHABLE SOUND ON THE TAPE DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A CHILD ASKING FOR WATER AND FRANKLY, SHE'S DEAD, WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR HER ANYWAY??!?!" And then my family has to turn off the TV and play soothing music while I calm down.

That being said, I too, have experienced things I cannot explain and I know full well that I don't know everything about life, the universe and... well everything. So, in the back of my head, Hamlet is always admonishing, "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio..."

Let's just say I'm an open-minded skeptic. But mostly a skeptic.

Just a little about The Miser said...

No. There is no such things as ghosts.

I'm one to be more alarmed that someone got into the apartment, although, obviously, is someone was going to go through that much trouble to break in, they would have stolen something. Or at least eat all your food.

Invite some people over for a seance or something, or buy (or make, it's not rocket science) a Ouija board. If there are no ghosts then you're just wasting your time (which is never a waste of time if you're chosing to waste your time your own way). If there are ghosts, then you'll find a way to talk to them and possibly anger them, in which you should document it all, write a book, update your blog, Copyright your material, and make some money!

It's a win win either way.

Sparklebot said...

So, it sounds a like like you all believe in ghosts, but think it sounds silly to say so, so . . . you say you don't. Stand up for your beliefs!

Carly said...

I believe. I think most of them are bad but maybe some are good? My mom tells a story about when her oldest daughter was a toddler and had a bruise on her arm and said "man hurt me." She said they saw/felt the man in the house. Totally freaky.

Just a little about The Miser said...

Personally I don't believe there are such a thing as ghosts at all (it's just ridiculous in my opinion), it was just my lame attempt at joke ;- )

Cathy said...

I believe there is a world that overlaps with this one - so in that sense there are "ghosts" BUT I also think they have better things to do with their time than bug us. I do not believe that ghosts haunt.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I believe in ghosts. I do not attribute many things like what happened to you in ghetto down to ghosts (it was more just that your apartment was ghetto and old), but I do believe in ghosts in terms of evil spirits or good spirits. How often they manifest? Who knows. Not really in to the idea that they move things around to just be annoying. I kind of think they are around with purpose...not pointlessly floating around.


Oh, also...CAitlin and I were scared all night at Lizzie Borden's house. Whether what we saw/heard was ghosts is irrelavent - we felt sick.