June 28, 2010

Why I May Never Get A Job

Last week I got this email from a potential employer at the Department of Education:

Thank you for applying in response to Job Announcement No. (omitted) for the General Attorney position with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Inspector General.   We received over 2,000 applications for this position and the selection process was very competitive.  We selected two candidates who have significant education law experience, as that experience was the most important factor we sought in a candidate.  We considered experience in education law the most important factor because of the volume and complexity of education laws and regulations.  We wish you success in your future endeavors.


Why can't I get a job?

Because there are over 2,000 people applying for every good job.   I applied for that job three months ago, BEFORE the new class of law school graduates finished their coursework.  This situation is only getting worse.

5 Robot Reactions:

Joy said...

I'm really, truly, sorry about that.

You'll find a job, I know you will.

NG said...

You should write them back and tell them that they clearly missed the boat because you were the best of all those 2000 applicants.

Still keeping my ear to the ground for you...

Unknown said...

Holy crap, that's so ridiculous! I can't imagine how frustrated you've gotta be getting with this.

You keep mentioning packing and moving, too--do you guys know where you're going yet?

I actually applied for a federal job, too, like 2 or 3 months ago. So far I haven't heard anything at all. Wonder if they got as many applications as yours did.

Ginna said...

UGH. I hate that!

Miss Scarlet said...

Job searching is THE WORST.